You can follow a number of proven steps to ensure your success in starting a small online business. I’ve seen thousands of people build and develop successful businesses by doing the following:
• Find a need and fulfill it.
• Write a copy that is being sold.
• Design and create a user-friendly website.
• Use search engines to drive traffic to your website.
• Make yourself an expert call.
• Ask your customers and subscribers by e-mail.
• Increase your sales through end sales and upselling.
All users, from novice to seasoned online entrepreneurs, can benefit from this process to learn how to start an online business.
Step 1: Find a need and fill it out.
Most beginners make the mistake of looking for a product first and then a market.
Start with a market to increase your chances of success. The trick is to find a group of people looking for a solution to a problem but not finding many results. Internet facilitates this kind of market research:
Review your potential competitors by visiting their websites and discovering what they are doing to meet the demand. You can then use what you have learned to create a product for an existing market – and do it better than the competition.
Step 2: Write a copy that is being sold.
There is a proven sales copy formula that guides visitors through the sales process from the moment of arrival to the moment of purchase:
• Arousing interest with a convincing title.
• Describe the problem that your product solves.
• Identify your credibility as a solution to this problem.
• Add testimonials from people who have used your product.
• Talk about the product and its benefits to the user.
• Make an offer.
• Make a strong guarantee.
• Create an emergency.
• Ask for the sale.
Throughout your copy, you must focus on the ability of your product or service to solve people’s problems or improve their lives. Think like a customer and ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Step 3: Design and create your website.
Once you have your market, product and sales process in place, you’re ready for the web design of your small business. Remember to keep things simple. You have less than five seconds to catch someone’s attention – otherwise he’ll be gone and will never be seen again. Some important tips to keep in mind:
• Choose one or two simple fonts on a white background.
• Make sure your navigation on all pages is clear and simple.
• Use graphics, sound, or video only as you improve your message.
• Add a membership offer that will allow you to collect e-mail addresses.
• Facilitate your purchases – no more than two clicks between the potential customer and the cashier.
• Your website is your online store. Make it so user friendly.
Step 4: Use the search engines to target buyers to your website.
Pay per click advertising is the easiest way to get traffic to a brand new website. It has two advantages over the expectation of transport in an organic way. First, PPC ads appear immediately on the search pages. Then you can use PPC ads to test different keywords, titles, prices, and sales methods. Not only do you get instant traffic, you can also use PPC ads to find your best-performing keywords and the most-converted keywords. Then you can spread the keywords on your website in your copy and in your code, making it easier for you to rank in organic search results.
Step 5: Make yourself an expert call.
People use the internet to find information. Make this information available to other websites for free. You see more traffic and better search engine rankings. The secret is that you always include a link to your website with all the information.
Give free, expert content. Create articles, videos or other content that is useful to you. Distribute this content through online article directories or social media sites.
Add “Send to a friend” links in the valuable content of your website.
Become an active expert in industry forums and social networking sites where your target market is visible.
You will reach new readers. Even better, any website that publishes your content returns a link to your site. Search engines love links from relevant websites and reward you for rankings.
Step 6: Use the power of e-mail marketing to turn visitors into shoppers.
When you create a registration list, you are creating one of the most valuable resources of your online business. Your customers and subscribers have given you permission to send them an e-mail. It means:
• They give them something they have asked for.
• They develop eternal relationships with them.
• The answer is 100% measurable.
• E-mail marketing is cheaper and more efficient than print, TV or radio because it is very targeted.
Anyone who visits your website and chooses your list is a hot track. And there is no better tool than email to follow these clues.
Step 7: Increase your sales through end sales and upselling.
One of the most important internet marketing strategies is to develop the lifetime value of each customer. At least 36% of those who have already bought you buy it when you forward it. Completing this first sale is by far the hardest part – not to mention the most expensive. Use end-of-line sales and upselling to get them to buy again:
The Internet is changing so fast that an online year in the real world is about five years. However, the principles of creating and developing a successful online business have not changed. If you start a small business online, follow this order. If you’ve been online for a while, do a quick review and see if you miss a step or if you’ve never made it. You can not go wrong with the basics.